Wednesday, June 22, 2011

words of encouragement...or in this case, challenge!

I came across this passage today and felt compelled to take a closer look. I think I've looked over this passage (even though it's a favorite of mine) or just saw it as a vague encouragement that everything was going to be ok (in whatever situation at the time). But, today I felt like I needed to break it down, take a closer look, take it more seriously. So, I did. Here was my challenge (or rather God's challenge) to myself as I read over and prayed about this throughout today. Hope you can be challenged by it as well...

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:4-7

Challenge 1: Rejoice. Not because of my circumstances but regardless of my circumstances. Rejoice because my Lord is GOOD. He is faithful and true.
Challenge 2: Let my gentleness be evident to all. Even when the car in front of me is turning WAY to slow. Even when that guy just cut in front of me in a long line. Even when Sydney is testing my patience. Even when I feel like they don't deserve it. Even when I'm tired, angry, hurt, or upset. To all. At all times.
Challenge 3: Do NOT doubt where God is. He is near. ALWAYS.
Challenge 4: Do not be anxious. about ANYTHING. Remind myself who is in control (Hint to self: it's not me)
Challenge 5: Pray. Talk to God. Bring everything to Him and bring it with THANKFULNESS. Thankfulness that he hears my prayers, that He's a mighty and yet still personal God, that He knows me better than myself.
Challenge 6: TRUST that God's peace, that surpasses my understanding, will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

Father God, THANK YOU for your Word. Thank you for truth that penetrates my heart no matter how many times I read it. Thank you for walking through life with me, challenging me to be better when I'm patient enough to listen. Thank you for being faithful when I am unfaithful. Help me to trust your peace. Help me to trust that I have nothing to be anxious about because YOU are in control. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment