Wednesday, October 5, 2011

what's standing in my way?

I was reading My Utmost for His Highest earlier this week and this particular day was talking about how ministry is only effective if we are concentrating on Jesus. A simple enough principle right? Then why do we fail at it so easily? Not just us, even the disciples struggled with this (when Peter attempts to walk on the water with Jesus but is distracted by his own doubt Matthew 14:30-31). I found this part to be particularly challenging...

"When you are brought face to face with a difficult situation and nothing happens externally, you can still know that freedom and release will be given because of your continued concentration on Jesus Christ. Your duty in service and ministry is to see that there is nothing between Jesus and yourself. Is there anything between you and Jesus even now? If there is, you must get through it, not by ignoring it as an irritation, or by going up and over it, but by facing it and getting through it into the presence of Jesus Christ. Then that very problem itself, and all that you have been through in connection with it, will glorify Jesus Christ in a way that you will never know until you see Him face to face." my utmost for His highest, October 3

This is something I wish I would have read (really read) about 10 years ago and been reminded of daily. I can look back on about every ministry opportunity I've been in and see (now) that there was always something (whether mundane or really serious) between Jesus and I during that ministry. Sometimes it was something as small as my own pride of just wanting to do my job well, or fear of being rejected, or the distraction of daily mundane life. And I would try to get through it typically by ignoring it or pushing it aside....not dealing with it totally, not facing it completely. It breaks my heart to look back and see what all I must have missed by not walking through that tough, annoying, heartbreaking, big or small thing. It's only now, with it all behind me, that I see what it would have taken and the possibilities I might have missed. I'm not going to live in regretting all of that, but boy does it open my eyes for today and days to come. I can live in the hope that peace will come in any situation as I concentrate on Jesus alone and I can know that he will walk through whatever and help me face whatever and in the end, whatever the "thing" was...it will bring glory to Jesus, what greater thing is there?

Father God, please help me to see if there is ANYTHING standing between you and I....any sin, any distraction, any temptation, any task, any to do list, any desire, any emotion, any doubt, anything...help me to see it, name it, recognize it....and help me to have the strength and perseverance to walk through it because whatever it is and whatever it's connected to I want all things in my life to glorify you. So show me the ugly and give me the courage to face it. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment