Monday, July 25, 2011

what we're eating this week...

Well, we don't have much of a menu planned for this week because we're heading over to PA on Wednesday. But here are our plans for the next couple days...

Monday: Veggie Chili with Cornbread Cake (recipe below)
I add a heaping spoonful of creamy peanut butter to any chili recipe I make. It may sound odd, but it's delicious. Also, I don't drain or rinse my beans and I omit adding water.
Tuesday:  Crock Pot Sloppy Joes (recipe below)

*Also, I wanted to report back on a new recipe I tried. I posted last week (here) about the Coconut rice with Mangoes and Pistachios. I made that on Friday and it was AWESOME! I think next time I would either get low sodium chicken broth or cut the salt in half for more of a salty/sweet balance. But it was still absolutely delicious and a perfect summer dish! I will definitely be making this again!!

Recipes...
Cornbread Cake (got this recipe from a friend a few years ago and have not made regular cornbread since)
-1 Jiffy Cornbread mix
-1 Jiffy Yellow Cake mix
-3 eggs
-1/3 cup milk
Mix all ingredients, will be slightly lumpy. Grease baking pan. Bake on 400 - 410 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes. It will brown before it's actually done so if it looks done be sure to check the middle with a toothpick and it will come out clean when done. It may sink a bit in the middle. Can only know done-ness by toothpick test, not color. Makes 8x8 pan of yummy-ness!!
***UPDATE: I decided to try this recipe making muffins because my favorite cornbread pan now has a crack in it. They turned out great and were a lot faster. I did the recipe the same and at 405 degrees it only took 15 mnutes.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes (I took a recipe from a cookbook and made it my own and they are YUMMY!)
-1 lb ground beef or turkey
-1 sm Green Bell Pepper chopped
-1 Sm Vidalia Onion
-2-4 cloves garlic minced or through garlic press
-1 cup ketchup
-1 Tbsp + 1 tsp mustard
-1 Tbsp + 1 tsp vinegar
-1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
-1 Tbsp + 1 rounded tsp brown sugar
-1 tsp chili powder
-salt and pepper to taste
Brown meat with onions and garlic. Mix all other ingredients in Crock Pot. Add meat/onion mixture to Crock Pot (if it looks to thick add up to 1/4 cup water, too thin add up to 1/4 cup more ketchup) Cook on Low for 5-6 hrs or High for 3. Makes about 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment